The Roku app is available for free on IOS and Android devices. With this app installed in your smartphone, you can turn your device into a control center for controlling the Roku streaming device or TV. The very first step to use mobile as a controlling device is select a device from the list of devices appearing on discovery screen.
If you don’t find your device in the list, then you won’t be able to connect to it. To fix this issue, you need to troubleshoot the problem at the earliest. Before this you must diagnose the problem then only you will be able to fix it.
What do you need to check first?
Before exploring further, you must check the network connection. It must be enabled on your Roku device.
- Press the Home button from the remote.
- Go to ‘Settings’> ‘System’ and finally on ‘Advanced system settings’.
- Tap ‘External control’ and then on ‘Network access’.
- You must check that mobile app is enabled by default.
What else can prevent Roku device from appearing under device screen on App?
If you find that the connection is Ok but the device is still not appearing under the device list in the Roku app, then it may be due to below-mentioned reasons:
- Both the devices should be connected to the same network for proper communication.
- Your Roku device is using the public IP address: Your Roku must be connected to the private network within one of the ranges: You can check the IP address of your Roku from the settings>Network> about. If the address assigned is Public, you must change it to Private. This is common if the router is not available on your connection. Contact your ISP for the issue and get the router installed on your network.
- Mobile is connected to the VPN: VPN stands for Virtual private network. It is commonly used to connect to the work network when you are actually at home. Check that your mobile device should not be connected to the work network when you are using Roku mobile app. Since some VPN’s keep on preventing the Roku device from appearing on the app screen.
- AP isolation of your network is enabled: Access point isolation bars devices from communicating over the Wi-Fi networks. For this, you can read the guided manuals of your Router and check how you can disable the settings of your router.
After implementing the above steps, if you still don’t find the device on the app screen, then follow the below-mentioned tricks. It may solve your problem. In case of further support, you can contact Roku com support.
- Connect Roku device manually: To connect the device manually, you need to click on ‘Connect manually’ option and enter the IP address of your Roku with the help of Remote. You can check the IP address from the Network settings inside the ‘About’ menu.
- Restart your Roku: To restart the Roku, simply disconnect it from the power supply and connect it again after 20 seconds.
- Restart the Roku mobile app: To restart app on iOS or Android systems, you have to follow the below mentioned steps.
On iOS device, double tap home button and swipe the Roku app to left or right to force close it. After it gets closed, click on the Roku app icon to launch it again.
From an Android device, click the ‘recent’ button and swipe the Roku app to force close it. Now, launch the app again from the home screen.