Smartphones provide people with an opportunity to carry their entertainment in their pocket. They can easily watch their favorite movies and TV shows on smartphones, and to make things lot easier, streaming apps can be accessed on smartphones. Apps like Hulu and Netflix are available on smartphones, but there is one drawback of using these apps on smartphones, i.e., a significant amount of data is consumed, which leaves users with hardly any data to perform other tasks. Today, we will be discussing as to how you can save data on Hulu by choosing the right video quality while streaming.
The amount of data provided by cellular carriers has increased significantly, with a dip in the cost of data plans. Some cellular carriers provide unlimited data as well, which allows users to access internet up to a certain limit, which could be 1 GB or 2 GB, and after that, the speed would slow down. So, you can say that this so-called ‘unlimited plan’ comes with an asterisk. When you stream content from a streaming app like Hulu, the data is consumed rather quickly. But, for a working-class person, watching content on the smartphone is the only suitable option. Now, if you want to know how to watch your favorite content through Hulu without draining too much of the cellular data, then here are some steps that you can take.
If you are using an Android smartphone, then here is how you can adjust video quality
When you play a video on Hulu, you will find a ‘gear’ icon on the top right or bottom side corner of the screen. By clicking that ‘gear icon’, you can easily change video quality of the current video that is being played on the screen. You can select from four options, which are as below:
- Auto: When you select this option, then the video quality will be selected automatically according to the strength of the internet signal. If you think you have an ample amount of data left, then you can select ‘auto’.
- Low: Select this option if you are barely left with any data. Videos will play in the lowest quality after choosing this option.
- Medium: When you select this option, the video will be played in medium quality, which could be either 360p or 480p, which is not that bad considering you are watching videos on a smartphone.
- High: Selecting this option will allow you to play videos in the highest resolution available. So, the videos will be played in either 720p or 1080p, and data will be consumed much quickly.
How to adjust video quality in Apple iPhone or other iOS devices?
Apple has not received as much kindness as Android devices from Hulu when it comes to data management. Using Hulu on an Apple device is a great experience, but you will not get as many options to adjust video quality as in Android devices. You can tap the ‘gear’ icon, which is given in the bottom-left corner of the screen in order to select the right video quality.
- Auto: When you select this feature, then the video is going to be played in the best quality according to your internet signal strength.
- SD: Selecting ‘SD’ video quality will play the videos in 480p, which is a decent video quality. Moreover, it will save your data and will ensure a smooth and uninterrupted streaming of videos.
There is a special feature in Apple devices that you can use. This feature is ‘disable cellular playback’ in Hulu, which you can do by going into ‘settings’ > ‘Hulu’ > Toggle switch corresponding to ‘Cellular Data’ option to ‘Disable’. This will prohibit playing of videos when you have turned on cellular data.